The European Union in a changed world
5 September, 10.45 – 12.15, Hotel Golf, Jupiter Hall
The economic and financial crisis, unstable eastern and southern neighbourhoods, migration pressures, and a generally deteriorating security situation, combined with an upsurge in terrorist acts in Europe, have in recent years eroded trust between the Member States and caused a shift in relations between EU institutions. Such developments are occurring at a time when major global players are turning away from multilateralism and considering economic protectionism.
Some Member States advocate the full implementation of the single market, while others shy away from the liberalisation of the single market in services. Developments accompanying the conclusion of agreements with the United States and Canada (i.e. TTIP and CETA, respectively) have spotlighted a plethora of reservations among politicians and the public in various Member States alike.
The world is on the brink of rampant protectionism. Will the European Union be able to consolidate from within and re-establish itself on the global stage as a bastion of multilateralism and free and fair trade?
- Ms Violeta Bulc, European Commissioner for Transport
- Mr Pat Cox, Former President of the European Parliament, Ireland
- H.E. Mr Andrei Galbur, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of the Republic of Moldova
- Ms Nathalie Loiseau, Minister for European Affairs of the French Republic
- H.E. Dr Teodor-Viorel Meleşcanu, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Romania
- Ambassador Iztok Mirošič, State Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
- Mr Aleksandar Andrija Pejović, Minister of European Affairs of Montenegro
- H.E. Ms Ekaterina Zaharieva, Deputy Prime Minister for Judicial Reform and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Bulgaria
- Mr Martin Kotthaus, Director General for European Affairs at the Federal Foreign Office, Germany
- Mr Witold Sobków, Political Director at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland
Moderator: Mr Tobias Flessenkemper, Senior Fellow at the European Institute – Centre international de formation européenne (CIFE), France
To download the session backgrounder click here.